Greenville, NC Car Accident Lawyers

Following a car accident, you are facing a difficult recovery and possibly even chronic pain and disability. The lost income and ongoing medical bills are adding to the stress and trauma of your accident. However, if the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Led by Greenville personal injury attorney, Harry H. Albritton,  Irons & Irons, P.A., we are dedicated to fighting for accident victims to help them get the compensation they deserve. From your initial case consultation, you can feel confident that you have an ally on your side, advocating for justice on your behalf, whether he’s negotiating a settlement or taking your case to court. Because we understand the hardship you are facing, our auto accident attorney in Greenville only accepts fees after your claim is paid.

Common Causes of Car Accidents in Greenville

Car accidents can happen anywhere and anytime, but areas of high traffic and high speed are significantly more likely to result in accidents with serious injuries. The most common cause of serious automobile accidents is human error and negligence, specifically:

  • Reckless driving, such as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, and cutting off other vehicles;
  • Distracted driving, such as texting while driving;
  • Inexperienced drivers who are on the road alone;
  • Failure to follow traffic laws;
  • Driving under the influence;
  • Fatigue which can dull reaction time;

Even “faultless” accidents may still be caused by another driver’s negligence. For example, an accident caused by a driver sliding on icy roads may not have happened had the driver maintained a safe distance from your vehicle. Similarly, worn brakes or burnt-out headlights may be the root of an accident that would have been avoided had the driver kept their vehicle in road-safe condition.

Common Injuries from Automobile Accidents

greenville car accident attorney

Our car accident lawyer represents clients who have suffered the following injuries:

  • Soft tissue injuries
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Burns, cuts, or lacerations
  • Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries
  • Nerve damage
  • Chronic pain and paralysis
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder

After you’ve been in a car accident, you should seek medical treatment immediately as many injuries or trauma aren’t readily apparent. Sometimes, pain and lack of mobility take days or longer to present after a collision.

Why You Need an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

If you are seeking damages for your injury, you should have an experienced auto accident attorney by your side. Without legal representation, insurance companies are more likely to take advantage of your vulnerable position and offer a minimal settlement. Even worse, they may try to blame you for the accident, play down your injuries, or drag out the claim so the statute of limitations runs out, stopping you from filing a claim in court. When you have legal representation, you have someone who will go toe-to-toe with the insurance companies and fight for a fair settlement or take your case to a jury to get you the damages you deserve.

Contributory Negligence

North Carolina has a clause of pure contributory negligence when determining who is at fault or who is liable after an accident. If the plaintiff is found to be in any way responsible, they are unable to receive damages.  The other driver must be 100 percent at fault.

For example, a driver is texting while driving and doesn’t see that you have stopped to turn. The driver then hits you from behind, which causes severe back and neck injuries. However, if, at the time of the accident, you had a brake light out, the jury may determine that you were slightly at fault for the accident. Due to the contributory negligence clause, the jury could not award you damages.

Statute of Limitations for Filing a Car Accident Claim

It’s important to consult with a car accident attorney about your case as soon as you can due to the statute of limitations. In North Carolina, you have three years after the date of the accident to file a civil claim for injuries and property damage. After the statute of limitations period ends for a claim, the case can be thrown out or rejected, so the victim won’t be eligible to collect damages. Insurance companies know this and will drag out the settlement negotiations in an attempt to run out the clock, absolving them of paying damages.

Choosing Irons & Irons P.A.

We know it’s difficult to choose a car accident lawyer in Greenville. At Irons & Irons P.A., each case receives top priority and every client gets personal attention. That’s why we limit our cases in order to be readily available to answer questions, guide you and keep you informed through the process, and ensure you receive one-on-one attention. We understand that legal proceedings are stressful while you wait for your outcome, but we’re by your side through the entire process, advocating for your rights, and fighting to secure compensation.

History of Success

We work hard to get fair and favorable outcomes for our clients. Here are some examples of our verdicts for car accident injury cases:

  • $850,000 to a former airline pilot who suffered a head injury during a low-speed automobile accident.
  • $300,000 to a college student with orthopedic injuries sustained when his motorcycle was forced off the road by a negligent driver changing lanes.
  • $100,000 to a client who suffered orthopedic injuries as the result of being struck by a driver who ran a stop sign.

Frequently Asked Questions for Our Car Accident Lawyers

What should I do immediately after a car accident?

Immediately after a car accident occurs, you should:

  • greenville car accident attorneyAssess your health and wellness to check for injuries.
  • Dial 911 to report the accident.
  • If you can, take photos of the accident, including circumstances like road conditions, traffic signs, and damage to the vehicle.
  • Avoid making a statement to the other driver or speaking to the insurance company who could use your words against you.
  • Seek medical treatment to check for injuries, even if you feel fine.
  • Call a car accident lawyer to discuss your options and your case.

Do I have to go to court if I file a personal injury claim?

A large majority of our car accident claims result in a settlement outside of court. However, if the insurance company will not negotiate a fair settlement, we would take the case to trial.

What do I need to file a personal injury claim?

Gather as much information as you can, including:

  • Contact information of the other driver;
  • Contact information of any witnesses;
  • Written explanation of your side of what happened (as soon as possible so it’s fresh in your mind);
  • Photographs of the scene;

What if the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance?

As part of your car insurance policy, you have underinsured or uninsured motorist (UIM) insurance. This covers you in case you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. There are limits to what they will pay under UIM, generally the amount of personal liability coverage.

I was offered a settlement — Should I take it?

Insurance companies are looking out for their profits, not your best interests. They are not likely to offer you what your case is really worth, which is why it’s important to consult with a car accident attorney before speaking to the insurance company or accepting a settlement.

I believe I was partially at fault for the accident — Can I still seek compensation?

Yes, because we will thoroughly investigate your case to determine fault, which is why it’s important to discuss your case with your car accident lawyer and avoid speaking with the other driver’s insurance company about your accident.

What can I be compensated for?

The jury can award compensation for:

  • Hospital and medical costs already accrued;
  • Estimated medical costs for future treatment (like physical therapy or continued treatments);
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Economic loss, like being unable to work;
  • Punitive damages that specifically punish the defendant for particularly egregious actions.

I was in a car accident 8 months ago — Can I file a claim?

Yes, but you should consult with a car accident lawyer in Greenville as soon as you can due to the statute of limitations.

Can I seek compensation if I was the victim of a hit-and-run driver?

Yes, you can make a claim through the uninsured motorist coverage of your car insurance policy. Make sure to have the following:

  • A police report of the accident
  • Photographs of the scene and of damages
  • Contact information of eyewitnesses.

Schedule a Consultation with our Greenville Car Accident Lawyer

Attorney Albritton and the team at Irons & Irons P.A. are dedicated to providing compassionate and assertive legal representation to secure the damages you are owed. We accept car accident cases in Greenville and the surrounding areas, including New Bern, Morehead City, and Goldsboro.  Call 252-215-3000 today or fill out the contact form below to schedule a consultation or learn more about our services.

Request an Consultation Appointment

  • By submitting this form, you are consenting to our privacy policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.